BACKGROUND / BIO
I started my career as an Assistant District Attorney based in Salem, Massachusetts, where I eventually rose to the level of: (1) supervising an entire staff for a district court; (2) being specially assigned to a joint task force for narcotics prosecution with the U.S. Attorney; and (3) supervising attorney and co-founder of a task force for gang prosecution. I began my legal career as a trial lawyer and lead prosecutor on investigations and prosecutions of criminal matters involving complex factual and legal issues. After that, I worked for large firms in Massachusetts and in Florida handling any number of transactions and litigation matters.
Most recently, while in SPB’s Government Investigations and White Collar practice group I had experience defending complex white collar criminal cases and successfully represented clients in cases involving export and trade violations, health care fraud, government contract and procurement fraud, and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. With almost 20 years of trial experience and as a former prosecutor, I understand the anatomy of a government investigation and he is sensitive to the impact government investigations have on corporate clients. He has represented business entities, municipal corporations, corporate executives, and employees in many different stages of the civil and criminal proceedings. I have also conducted extensive fraud investigations on behalf of one of the largest health insurance companies in the country and maintains a white collar criminal defense practice including the representation of individuals and corporations. I combine my experience representing corporations in complex litigation, appellate, transactional and compliance matters with my extensive jury trial background and previous work as an Assistant District Attorney to meet the legal services needs of a wide range of clients.
The bulk of my practice has been devoted to complex commercial foreclosures, loan workouts and loan sales agreements; bankruptcy; new loan transactions; and litigation. My white collar practice has included representation of corporate clients generally in reference to compliance during investigations by government agencies. Jason has also conducted extensive fraud investigations on behalf of one of the largest health insurance companies in the country and maintains a white collar criminal defense practice including the representation of individuals and corporations.
I have also served as a member of: (1) the Trial and Litigation Section Board for the Hillsborough County Bar Association; (2) the White Collar Crime Committee for the National Association of Criminal Defense.
I have also served as a member of: (1) the Trial and Litigation Section Board for the Hillsborough County Bar Association; (2) the White Collar Crime Committee for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers; (3) the Real Property Finance and Lending Committee and the Foreclosure and Debtor/Creditor Rights Sub-Committee for the Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar; (4) The Florida Bar’s Trial Lawyer Section; and (5) the Hillsborough County Land Use Appeals Board.
- Represented one of the largest banks in the Middle East and supervised more than 20 attorneys while conducting an internal investigation onsite in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for almost 2 years;
- Represented an international financial institution in a US$32 million commercial foreclosure, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and loan workout.
- Represented a special servicer in a US$125 million commercial foreclosure and loan workout.
- Represented white collar criminal defendants and obtained complete dismissal of all charges in one of the largest cases in Florida involving the arrest of approximately 57 people accused of RICO violations, money laundering, and illegal possession of slot machines.
- Successfully pursued a collection action against a China-based firm (without any US assets) and obtained payment in excess of face amount of judgment to cover payment of principal, costs and attorneys’ fees on behalf of a hedge fund client.
- Provided counsel to an international financial institution in the sale of various multimillion dollar loan facilities.